Digitizing Historical Materials
Why do we digitize materials?
What are the different ways that we can digitize?
What do we do with the files?
- Scan samples
- Scan quality sample
Cell Phone Camera Apps
- OCR (Optical Character Recognition)
- Keywords and Metadata
- Proofreading images to make sure they are complete, cropped well, color accurate
- Proofreading transcriptions according to guidelines
- Proofreading metadata and descriptions
- We have 10 historical items.
- Using your phone (not optimal, but…) digitize each item and save on your computer
- Pass each folder to the next person, until you have done all ten.
- If you think that the image(s) needs to be manipulated, create a copy of the file and edit it to improve it.
- Post them on Basecamp as a folder in Docs & Files, and take any notes needed.
- We will be using these images in class on Thursday.